Thursday, January 7, 2010

Deja Vu

In the past, I have been dubbed a pack rat, a badge I proudly wear. I have gotten better about tossing out damaged or hardly used items, although I did release from my possession, my longtime, homemade collection of VHS recordings. The contents of these recordings were the 2000, 2004 women's Olympic events in basketball, volleyball and softball. Also included were a few choice games from the defunct ABL, the Sylvia Crawley blindfold dunk during the All-star dunk contest and a splattering of other ABL games. I also relieved myself of some dated NCAA gems. The 1989 game between Vicky Bulletts, Maryland Terrapins and the Texas Longhorns. The Dawn Staley led University of Virginia Cavaliers when they made a run at the National Championship in 1991. As I regret spring cleaning these choice mementos, I can take comfort in knowing all is not completely lost.

The NCAA has a site, NCAA On Demand, which allows you to purchase a dvd copy of past games. The dvd's are divided into sport categories. All sports offer division I,II and III championship games, matches or highlights. The games date back, for some, as far as 1982 and run to the present. Although the site is large, it is very user friendly. The capability to go directly to a specific game is a time conscious plus. You can search the dvd collection three ways. Browse games by sport categories, or search by school or search by year. In many cases box sets are offered. With over 1,700 women's specific dvd's available there are endless possibilities and you are sure to find classic match-ups from both past pioneers and personalities of today.

I must say my eyes lit up in wonderment at the thought of owning a super library of the greatest moments in women's NCAA sports history. I love it! After all, I am, a pack rat.

No comments:

Post a Comment