Sunday, March 28, 2010

Cinderella good for tournament, but not great

I don't know about you but the women's tournament has been exciting. Quite a few unexpected upsets and unforeseen programs not fulfilling high expectations. As exciting as it has been to watch Vermont and Green Bay play and knock down their Goliath...I must apologize for this next statement...I don't want to see Cinderella in the final four. I realize the tournament is set up to "win or go home". I think it's great to have a few surprises here and there. We need that to validate the tournament. A continuous romp through the tournament by the top seeds year after year would render it "March Blandness" and not make for "must see tv". So why I appreciate the hard work, dedication and effort put forth by San Diego State University in disappointing Texas on their home floor and reaching the sweet sixteen, I found myself rooting against them with Duke. Don't we ultimately want to see the top teams in the country play for the National Championship? I'm not limiting it to a UCONN-Tenn-Duke-Stanford slug fest. I'm talking about the 20 or so teams who have built dominant programs over the years.

I've spent the better part of five months watching games and familiarizing myself with teams and players from the top six conferences (because they are who you get to see on tv). I've gotten to know their names, their style of play, the coach and coaching staff. I've seen their ups and downs, highs and lows. I know who are the players to watch and for many, who is the sixth man off the bench.

For most of these teams, there is history in the programs. Some feature legendary coaches and others have newcomers who are only newcomers to their respective programs. They are legends of the women's game, prodigal daughters returning to restore magic to a once royal program. Young coaches with a bloodline of winning and a determination to prove themselves.

Let me try to put it another way. Unless you are from Iowa, did you really want to see Northern Iowa in the final four of the men's tournament? Don't you secretly want to see Kansas clash with Kentucky or Duke. In the NBA finals would you be happy with the Timberwolves and Bobcats? Isn't it more appealing to see the Cavs-Lakers or Celtics-Lakers?

I love the tournament format. I love that it gives Vermont a chance to be put on the grandest stage in women's college basketball and for a week or so be the bell of the ball. But by the sweet sixteen I want order restored.

This is not to say Cinderella can never be a "bride". She needs to be visible in the regular season. I need to get to know her. Maybe she can participate in one of those high profile pre-season tournaments or schedule some games with the top programs, get on tv a bit more. I'll learn their names and be able to talk about a player or two and most of all they have to win! A couple years of this and when the brackets come out in March and I see their name on the schedule, I may not hesitate to pencil them in...and maybe even to the elite eight.

No comments:

Post a Comment